When playing roulette, it is easy to find yourself sinking into a bad streak of losses. Your chips quickly start to disappear, and you find yourself wondering: ‘What am I doing wrong?’ The problem often a lack of strategy, you have not prepared a system which puts you in control of your luck, in control of the game. Roulette is a game of luck, but in roulette, what divides successful and unsuccessful players is the ability to give yourself the advantage, put yourself in a prime position to win the game. This article will give you this power, give you this control and turn yourself into a successful roulette player.
If you are not a fan of strategies and wheels, then why not check out this traditional online slots and give them a go instead? On Thor Slots, we offer 1,000+ casino games, including 30+ variants of roulette and live dealer roulette. Play for real money and win back from our exclusive promotions!
The History of the Game of Roulette
Although roulette is widely available to play on every inhabited continent on the planet: from numerous devices to real-life casinos, this was not always the case. There was once a time which preceded roulette – crazy I know. It was not until the seventeenth century, in early modern France, that the first roulette wheel prototype was built, and not until the eighteenth century that the game that’s internationally loved was played in its current form.
So, it is not just baguettes and the hot-air balloon which we have the French to be thankful for – now the game is most associated with a lavish lifestyle, Las Vegas and James Bond. But, it is not widely recognised that the word roulette actually translates from the French word for ‘little wheel’.
In the past, people have tried and failed to cheat the game of roulette. However, there have been a few exceptions. For instance: Mr Joseph Jagger. In a casino in Yorkshire, England, Jagger was able to identify patterns in the results of the roulette games and figure out where on the table the ball was going to land on any given game. He was very successful and made an equivalent to £7.5 million today in cheated roulette wins! The casino owners were baffled, and Jagger’s success forced them to change the roulette wheels that they used – which stopped Jagger from being able to estimate where the ball would land.
How to Play and Win at Online Roulette
When placing a bet on a roulette table, there are both inside and outside bets. The best way to remember which betting options are which, the outside bets will be printed on the outside and the inside bets, on the inside.
Outside Roulette Bets
Outside bets offer smaller winnings, but a higher probability of success. The outside bets are:
- Red or Black – Even odds: 1 to 1. Pick whether the ball will land on a red or black number.
- Odd or Even – Even odds: 1 to 1. Pick whether the ball will land on an odd or an even number
- Low (1-18) or high (19-36). Even odds: 1 to 1. Pick whether the ball will land on a number between 1 and 18 or a number between 19 and 36.
- Dozen betting – Odds 2 to 1. Pick which section of dozens will the ball land on? 1 to 12, 13 to 24 or 25-36.
- Columns – Odds 2 to 1. Pick which column the number the ball will land on is in. There are three columns, starting from 1, 2 or 3. The columns all go up by a numeric value of three. (1,4,7 or 3,6,9 etc.)
Roulette Bets Inside the Wheel
There are also inside betting options. There is a lower probability that you will win in an inside bet, but their payouts are much higher. The inside bets are:
- Straight up – Odds: 35 to 1 Pick which number the ball will land on
- Split – Odds: 17 to 1 Which two numbers which you think the ball will land on.
- Street – Odds: 11 to 1. Pick three numbers you think the ball will land on. You can also bet on three numbers with one chip by placing one chip at the end of a row of numbers.
- Corner betting – Odds: 8 to 1. Pick an intersection of four numbers which you think the ball will land on.
- Six-line betting – Odds: 5 to 1. Pick an edge of two adjoining streets which you think the ball will land on.
If there is any doubt, we recommend that you play roulette for fun, try a free version of the game.
Strategies for Success in Online Roulette
However, if you really want to play a more sophisticated game, and turn the odds more in your favour, it is recommended you use a roulette strategy. There are hundreds of different systems and variations on techniques. Here we have compiled the two most successful and commonly used roulette strategies.
If all of these seem tiring to you and you are just looking to relax, check out some of the free slot games instead.
The most commonly used strategy, and almost as old as the game itself. For this system you must wait-out your bad luck, waiting for the probable victory that will come your way. To use this strategy, start with the lowest table limit bet and on an outside bet (even odds pay-out bets, such as Red or Black, Even or Odds, or High or Low). If you lose this bet, make it again but double it. If you lose again, double it! This most seem cost-ineffective, but when you eventually win, which is probable, your winnings will be greater than the amount you have bet. When you do eventually win, return to the beginning of this strategy, using the lowest table limit bet.
The Double-Oh-Seven Winning Strategy
This system was invented by the author of the James Bond novels, Ian Fleming, for his fictional series. This system requires you to start with £200 worth of bets. You then split this £200: £140 on high numbers (19-36), £50 on dozens 13 - 18 and £10 on 0 for insurance. If the ball lands in a pocket between 19 and 36, You will receive £80, if it’s between 13 and 18 you will win £100 and for 0 a tidy sum of £160.
Ready to play roulette? Why not use our safe and secure pay by mobile casino to fund your casino account? Roulette games are one click away!