Aztec Expedition Thundershots
Aztec-themed slots free are some of my favourite games to play, so it only took a matter of time before I sampled the Aztec Expedition Thundershots slot by Playtech. The 5 reel, 30 payline slot was released in mid-2021, but it’s one I had been anticipating all year. I hoped for a higher RTP than 95.5% for a new South American slot like this one.
I wasn’t too pleased with the medium volatility either, especially because it meant the maximum 5,000x stake payout would be difficult to trigger. However, as a high roller of slot machine games, I appreciate when the betting range is wide like in Aztec Expedition Thundershots where stakes start from £0.1 to £450 per spin.
See what else I found out about the game in the review below, or sign up for £10 on Thor Slots to win up to 500 free spins on Vikings Go Berzerk (Terms & Conditions Apply).
Review of Aztec Expedition Thundershots RTP & Volatility
I found the Aztec Expedition Thundershots Return to Player percentage low because it ranked at 95.5%. Even though this could round up to 96%, I still think the rate is low, considering 97% is the industry average.
The volatility is medium, and the maximum payouts reach up to 5,000x your stake per spin. The developer claims that betting the highest stakes from £0.1 to £450 per spin is the closest way to triggering the highest payout. The table below contains more interesting stats I found on the Aztec Expedition Thundershots slot.
|Gameplay||5 reels, 4 rows, 30 paylines|
|Developer||Playtech in mid-2021|
|Bonus features||-12 spins in the Free Spins feature.-a Treasure Run feature where picks are offered.-3 fixed jackpots in the Temple of Gods feature.-A bonus wheel that triggers free spins, cash prizes, and bonus spins.|
|Bet range||£0.1 to £450 per spin|
|Related Slot Games||Totem Lightning Power Reels, Aztec Pyramid Megaways, & John Hunter and the Mayan Gods.|
|Theme||Aztec, ancient civilizations.|
|RTP||95.5%, below 97% industry average|
|Volatility||Medium, bonus features might take a while to trigger.|
|Max payout||5,000x your stake|
|Casino Bonus||Thor Slots offers up to 500 Vikings Go Berzerk free spins for a £10 deposit (Terms & Conditions Apply).|
*All values are subject to change at any time.
Are the Graphics in this slot machine worth it?
I had heard many punters raving about the Aztec Expedition Thundershots design, but I was surprised by how basic it looked. The graphics looked a bit confusing, with a floating pyramid in the sky and a fiery-looking sky. It also looks like the pyramid is on top of a jungle, while the reels are plastered on the screen.
However, the clarity is amazing, and the symbols are in HD, so I didn’t have a hard time locating the high-value symbols; the panthers, compasses, a lively character, snakes, and frogs. Whenever 3 or more matching symbols landed, the payouts I’d win ranged from 7x to 20x your stake.
Aztec Expedition Thundershots Mobile
Playtech slots are mobile compatible, so you won’t have any problem playing the Aztec Expedition Thundershots slot on all your devices. I prefer to play on a small screen like my smartphone because the visuals look sharper than any other device.
In addition, I don’t have to be constantly zooming into the paytable while playing on Thor Slots because the screen is wide enough. I can quickly locate the stake buttons, line buttons, any other controls in landscape mode.
Does Aztec Expedition Thundershots have an easy Gameplay?
Aztec Expedition Thundershots is a simple 5 reel, 30 payline slot that works a lot like most other online slots I’ve played on Thor Slots. I usually follow the steps below when playing most games, and I found they worked just fine even here;
- I used the ‘Lines’ button to select how many paylines I wanted to play from 1 to 30 before starting my first spin.
- The Total Bet section marked + and – helped me adjust my stakes from £0.1 to £450 per spin. Then, after setting my wagers, I clicked the ‘Spin’ button to begin my spins.
- The symbols quickly shuffled on the reels before occupying random positions when the reels came to a stop.
- Winning combinations in Aztec Expedition Thundershots are comprised of 3 or more matching symbols successfully triggered a payout. Payouts occur as per the symbols that land on the reels, with the wild offering the highest payout after completing a winning line.
Where can I play Aztec Expedition Thundershots slot machine game?
The best way to test my knowledge on the Aztec Expedition Thundershots slot is by taking it for a spin. I looked for the demo online before making my first real bets on Thor Slots. I find that it is better to start with the demo to learn the gameplay and see how the bonus features are triggered. If you’d like to go straight into making your first bets on Thor Slots, you’ll use the guide below to create an account;
- Click the ‘Join The Raid’ button on the site.
- A dialog box requesting your details appears on the screen.
- Complete the gaps and confirm your email is still working.
- Deposit as little as £10 to register your membership and win up to 500 Vikings Go Berzerk free spins (Terms and Conditions Apply).
Are there any free spins and bonuses available?
I love it when developers include bonus features in slots as it amps up the excitement of the base game spins. The Aztec Expedition Thundershots slot has quite a few features available to trigger, as discussed below;
- Cascading Wins feature – the cascading wins mechanism works similarly to tumbling reels. Whenever I randomly landed a successful winning combination, the winning symbols were eliminated from the reels, and new symbols dropped from the top to occupy the spaces.
- The Gates of Destiny feature - I loved this feature in Aztec Expedition Thundershots because it acted as a shortcut to the 4 main bonus features. The feature would start whenever 3 scatters land on the middle reels on a single base game spin. The objective was to spin the bonus wheel that would appear on the screen, with the hopes of landing enough gems to trigger the other bonus features.
-1 gem triggers the Free Spins feature.
-3 gems trigger the Treasure feature.
-5 gems trigger the Temple of Gods feature.
-6 gems trigger the Thundershots feature.
- Free spins feature- I felt like the 12 free spins awarded to start this feature was too few. However, wild symbols would land on 5 reels instead of 3 in the free spins rounds. When extra scatters land, an extra free spin is awarded and if the wilds land, they can expand and cover an entire line.
- Treasure Run feature - I enjoyed this feature because the Aztec conquistador would run across the screen while struggling to escape from a boulder. In the course of the run, a Pick a Chest feature would be randomly triggered and 3 treasure chests hiding Cash, more Obstacles, or a Speed Bonus would appear on the screen. The Treasure Run bonus would continue if the conquistador doesn’t get run over by the boulder.
- Fixed jackpot feature - the Aztec Expedition Thundershots slot came full of bonuses, even boasting 3 fixed jackpots. If I managed to trigger the Bronze, Silver, or Gold, I ended up with 500x, 1,000x, and 5,000x my stake, respectively. I was tasked with picking among pyramid blocks on a ladder, with the hopes of revealing gold coins the higher up I moved. It took 5 gold coins to trigger the Gold Jackpot, 3 bronze coins for the Bronze jackpot, and 4 silver coins for the Silver jackpot.
- Thundershots bonus - I won extra spins, cash prizes, and better versions of the Free Spins bonus and the Treasure Run bonus in the final round of bonuses. If I landed the pointer anywhere on the feature segment, I’d end up triggering the Thundershots bonus game again. The multiplier increased by 1 if I landed the pointer in the same spot. If the pointer landed on multiple segments at once, I’d win all the features back-to-back.
My personal take on Aztec Expedition Thundershots slot machine
I’ve been playing online slots for years, so it takes a lot to impress me. The Aztec Expedition Thundershots slot took me seconds to navigate the base game and slightly longer with the bonuses. That’s because the developer used bonuses I haven’t encountered thus far, a testament to Playtech’s originality.
The Thundershots feature was definitely my favourite since I could never guess what bonus I was about to trigger next. The whole slot kept me on my toes throughout, such that I couldn’t pull myself away. Just for that, I’d rate this slot an 8/9.
You can play Aztec Expedition Thundershots at Thor Slots today, where you will also find other games like the Atlantis Cash Collect slot.
*All values (Bet Levels, Maximum Win, etc.) mentioned in relation to this slot game are subject to change at any time.
*Any Free Spins/Welcome Bonuses References are subject to the following: NEW PLAYERS ONLY, MIN DEPOSIT £10, £8 MAX WIN PER 10 SPINS, MAX BONUS EQUAL TO LIFETIME DEPOSITS (UP TO £250), 65X WAGERING REQUIREMENTS AND FULL T&CS APPLY.